This month, various organizations and local governments are spreading the word about sharing the road with motorcycles and avoiding motorcycle accidents. Florida Governor Rick Scott officially recognized Motorcycle Awareness Month by issuing a proclamation, which declared:
- Motorcycles are an increasingly popular means of transportation
- The scenery of Florida make it an ideal spot for motorcycle touring
- Motorcycles are popular for their fuel efficiency
- Many people are riding motorcycles for commuting and recreation
The Governor’s statement goes on to say that, because of the prevalence of motorcycles on Florida roadways, appropriate driving behavior must be developed to encourage long-term motorcycle safety and prevent auto accidents. According to the statement, more than one million Florida drivers have a motorcycle endorsement on their license.
To share the road with motorcycles, please remember to:
- Signal turns and lane changes well in advance
- Check for motorcycles before making left turns at intersections
- Check your blind spot before changing lanes
- Yield the full width of the lane to motorcycles
Techniques to share the road reduces car vs. motorcycle accidents and the catastrophic bodily injury those accidents can cause.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident in Orlando, Florida that was not your fault, please contact the Law Offices of Michael Barszcz, MD, JD, to schedule a consultation.